Monday 23 January 2012

Expressions: At the restaurant


To start:
-       Have you got a reservation? / Have you booked a table?    - Yes, we have.
-       We have a reservation under the name of Mr Smith.
-       Have you got a table for two, please? / A table for two, please
-       Certainly! Follow me, please / This way, please/ This is your table
-       Can I make a reservation for tomorrow, please?   
-       Certainly! / Yes, of course.
-       Can I have the menu, please?    – Here you are, Sir / Madam.

-       Are you ready to order? / Can I take the order, please?    - Yes, please.
-       Would you like to order now?     - Yes, please.
-       What would you like to drink
-       Would you like anything to drink? 
-       I’d like some mineral water/ fizzy water/ a glass of Rioja red wine, please.
-       Can I have a glass of water, please?     - Certainly! / Here you are!

To go on:
-       What would you like to eat?
-       What would you like for starter/ main course/ dessert?

-       I’ll have the steak, please.
-       Fried chicken for me, please.
-       How would you like your steak, Sir / Madam?
-       Rare, medium or well done?
-       I asked for my steak well done, please
-       I’ll change it / I’ll get you another one.
-       I’ll send it back to the kitchen.
-       Here you are another one, Madam/Sir.

-       What kind of pizza would you like?        - A pizza Margherita, please.
-       Could I have some more bread?    - Straight away. Here you are, Sir / Madam.
-       Would you like a coffee?    - Yes, a white / black coffee, please.
-       Is everything alright? / Did you enjoy the meal, Sir?

To finish:
-       Can I have the bill, please? / Could I have the check (American), please?
-       I’m buying / This is on me.
-       It’s very kind of you.
-       These shots are on the house.
-       How are you paying, Sir / Madam?
-       Can I pay by visa?  or in cash?    
-       You can pay by visa if you wish, Madam.
-       Can you sign here, please?     - Yes.
-       Here you are your credit card, Sir / Madam.    – Thanks.
-       Take the tip, please.    – Thank-you very much!

-       We hope you’ve enjoyed the meal.     – Yes, it was delicious!
-       Thanks for your visit.   – Thank-you!
-       Have a nice day!    - You too. Thanks!
-       See you soon!     - Good bye! 

Now Click on these to see a video:

1 comment:

  1. Write a conversation at a restaurant of your own. Try to use as many expressions as possible. Then you have to learn it by heart and role play it in the classroom. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

If you want, you can make a comment.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.